I found THIS (above) little DIY project on pinterest and knew I needed to have one of these canvases in my own home! She didn't really give a tutorial so I tried to mimic what she did. I think it turned out pretty well. It's not perfect and I am OK with that. Let me share with you how to make one for yourself! Oh, and in case you're wondering, the numbers on our canvas (below) are our wedding anniversary! Just celebrated 4 years! Woot Woot!
- 15"x30" CANVAS. You can use any size really, depending on the size of the font numbers you choose. On sale at Joanns for $7.99.
- STARDOS STENCIL, size 1000, free to print here.
- PAINT. I used Martha Stewart's Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Craft Paint in Beetle Black. $1.99 at Joanns.
- PAINT BRUSH. Actually I used two. A 1/4" rounded tip soft comfort brush ($2.99 at Joanns) and a 1/4" flat ox hair stroke brush I already had on hand.
- CUT OUT THE NUMBER STENCILS AND TRACE ONTO CANVAS. I followed Nalle's advice and left the open parts of the numbers attached and traced the whole number. Just like she said, the spacing stayed in tact.
- The rest is pretty simple: PAINT THE NUMBERS. I however did a major boo boo on the #2. When I was switching paint brushes, I dropped one of them and thought I had ruined the canvas! We thought about taping the stencils over top of the painted numbers and then spray painting over top with white paint to get rid of the mistake...but I didn't want to do that much work. Then I realized that the paint is water-based. Hallelujah!!! I waited until the paint dried and then I took a clean q-tip (or a handful of them), dipped it into water, and then blotted the mistake until it disappeared. Can we say life saver!?! Amazing. It worked like a champ.
- LET PAINT DRY. HANG ON WALL AND ENJOY. That's it! You're done! Have fun!
Hope you enjoyed this project! You could really use any dates or any stencils you wanted for this project. For example, animal stencils for a child's room, or you could stencil a quote that is special to you! The options are unlimited!!!