With so many wedding invitations spread out across our dining room table (we're looking at around 8 weddings this summer!!!) and our 3 year wedding anniversary come and gone, I am in the mood to share a little wedding DIY project. No, I didn't do this for my wedding, but I should have! Our photographer had some great photos of my dress and the hanger would have added a little romantic touch to it, oh well! I found this idea first from this amazing wedding planner Rhianna from Hey Gorgeous Events in Michigan and then found it all over pinterest!
This photo is from Rhianna's office which she affectionately calls her "girl cave." I like the full wire hanger but didn't think that I could complete the project and have it look pretty. Plus, the bar on the hanger I used broke so as not to waste a perfectly good hanger, I used it for a project!
You will need:
- Wooden Hanger (preferably without the wooden dowel)
- Wire (I used 12 gauge aluminum floral wire from Michael's for around $2.99)
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Wire Cutters (not shown)
- Drill (not shown) (use a drill bit slightly bigger than the wire)
- Hot Glue Gun
- An embellishment if you'd like (I used a large diamond ring Christmas ornament, but you could use ribbon or a flower)
What you do:
1. I would advise getting some sort of a template (check out some cursive templates here). I just studied a photo that had part of my last name and tried to mimic the letters. Trial and Error. Took me a few tries but by the third time the letters looked decent.
2. Try to shape the wire into the word, name, date or design you want to form.
Here was my first attempt with black wire I had so as not to waste the silver wire.
Here was my second try and my failed attempt at trying to correct the letter "a."
Here is my third attempt. I decided that it wasn't going to be perfect and that that would need to be okay!
Here are all of my attempts.
Initially I thought maybe the hole where the pant bar connected to the hanger would be large enough for the wire but it wasn't.
3. So, I had to recruit hubby to drill two larger holes on the inside of the hanger (not shown).
4. Fill the drilled holes with glue from your hot glue gun and push the wire inside the holes. Make sure the words or names are level.
5. Shape the name until you achieve your desired look and then set the hanger flat to let dry.
6. Decorate the hanger as desired.
This would be a great bridal shower gift for the bride to be or for your bridesmaids, flower girls, etc. You can buy customized hangers on Etsy but you'll pay $20-25 each plus the cost of shipping. This is so much cheaper and pretty easy to do! The only money I spent for this project was to purchase the wire which was about $3. Can't get much cheaper than that!
Hope this project has inspired you! Happy Friday! xoxo